Thursday, February 12, 2009

Congo/Women

Terrible beauty, terrible tragedy. This is how I'd describe the photos at the exhibit yesterday, some starkly black and white, others larger than life in full color. Paired with essays and statistics, the exhibit told stories of the effects of decades of violence on the women and children of the DRC. The co-directors of the exhibit at Columbia College hoped to inspire me and others to action. Unfortunately, as with other humanitarian tragedy, it was hard to look, to take it all in. I left feeling overwhelmed. I sent up a prayer for the courageous and suffering people. But it seemed so inadequate. What seemed missing was hope. Today I went to the website today to learn more and added my photo to the visual petition on the website, standing with the women and girls of the congo.

Perhaps I noticed this reaction more have recently finished a book by Gary Smith, SJ called "They Come Back Singing" about his experiences working with Sudanese refugees in Uganda. Smith paints a honest picture of his life as a priest and pastoral minister in the refugee camps. He didn't sugar coat the disease, poverty and death. He isn't sentimental or romantic about the suffering. I appreciated his ability to share his first hand experience and let it speak for itself. Through his story I felt the humanity and essential dignity of the refugees even in the midst of the horrific camp conditions. Because of his courage and honesty and theirs, I could stand with Smith and the family as he buried a child, or annointed a dying mother or grandmother. I could join my prayer to theirs as they celebrated the liturgy. I felt myself drawn in to share their plight instead of wanting to turn away. I'm grateful to Smith for allowing me to feel a part of the mission of the Jesuit Refugee Service: to accompany, to serve, to advocate.

No comments: